Sennebogen 5500 "Starlifter" Set-Up:

Some new GIANT additions to the Coleman die-cast model collection

Moderators: Maurice Wilcox, Rob, Pete Coleman

Pete Coleman
Admiral Of The Fleet

Sennebogen 5500 "Starlifter" Set-Up:

Post by Pete Coleman » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:41 pm

Here a some pictures I have taken while setting up the new crawler crane.
Not all the steps are shown, notably the reeving process which took several hours to complete x38x
By the time I had got the booms assembled and the main boom and luffing reeving completed I had lost the will to live!
So the build up sort of magically completes itself towards the end....

This is a very good looking if basic model and is extremely good value for money.
The only thing you have to watch out for is when lowering the main boom or luffing jib care must be taken to keep the associated reeving under tension at all times or they have a tendency to jump the pulleys, cross over and get themselves into knots.
Ask me how I know and how many times I managed to do it before sussing this out!.....
Also the main boom winch is only "friction" braked so it cannot support the weight of the boom and jib beyond roughly 35 degrees from the vertical.
The pre-wound luffing jib winch does not have enough thread supplied to lower the jib to the ground! so, I might end up swapping it out with the main or secondary hook lines at a later date as these are far longer.....
Even with the above gripes, when taking all into consideration I love this crane, I love the look of it and it also has that "wow" factor when seen in person.
It is well made with strong and true castings, not quite the modelling fidelity and precision of the other cranes in my collection but then this is reflected in the price.
The pictures presented here do not do the model justice!

I will now go on to take a set of pictures logging the build up of the big LTM 11200.
Thanks for looking.
Cheers,
Pete.

Best regards, Pete. (A.O.T.F.) :character-spongebobdance:
-------------------------------------------------------
"In which it will be ready when it's ready"
------------- Preserved Killick -------------

Rob

Re: Sennebogen 5500 "Starlifter" Set-Up:

Post by Rob » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:12 pm

I can see what you mean Pete it does look most impressive, rather precarious though. I wonder what goes on in your kitchen at night when you are tucked up? Have you tried leaving the washing up? Now there would be a series of lifting challenges for your crew.
Rob.

Pete Coleman
Admiral Of The Fleet

Re: Sennebogen 5500 "Starlifter" Set-Up:

Post by Pete Coleman » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:11 pm

Rob wrote:I can see what you mean Pete it does look most impressive, rather precarious though.
Rob.
Thanks Rob, actually the crane is quite stable at that sort of boom and jib angle due to the cast metal counterweights, frame and body...
I have left some washing up overnight on several occasions now but the local 900 down tools and say it goes against the rulebook!
Cheers,
Pete.
Best regards, Pete. (A.O.T.F.) :character-spongebobdance:
-------------------------------------------------------
"In which it will be ready when it's ready"
------------- Preserved Killick -------------

Return to “My 1:50th Scale Die-Cast Construction Crane Collection”